We consider ourselves to be stewards of this place and of the living organisms, plants, fish and animals within our territory. The land is not ours to keep, it is ours to use respectfully and wisely so it will remain healthy and rich for generations to come.

Splatsin Reserves

IR1 Salmon River: about 1,600 hectares (4,000 acres) of land along the east side of the Salmon River, approximately 22 kilometres (km) south of Salmon Arm. There are 21 homes and the land is mostly used for agriculture, grazing and forestry.

IR2 Enderby: the largest reserve, with about 2,200 hectares (5,500 acres) of land just south of the City of Enderby. There are about 125 homes and all of the community’s facilities located here including our new community center. There is some agricultural land in the Fortune Creek and Shuswap River valleys, while the west portion of this reserve is mostly forestry land.

IR3 Sicamous: 79 hectares (195 acres) in size and is located along the northwestern shore of Mara Lake, across the lake from the District of Sicamous. The property has no current uses and it is all band land. The site is forested with moderately steep slopes facing the lake, and more gentle slopes at lower elevations close to the lake.

There are many jurisdictions that overlap with and surround the three reserves. IRs1 and 3 are within the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, and IR2 falls within the Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO). The City of Enderby is immediately north of IR2.

Land Access Requests

To obtain on reserve access the public must request a Band Council Resolution (BCR) from Chief & Council approving access prior to service delivery. When companies are needing access to maintain and provide service deliver or for grazing including some agriculture and other non-exclusive use. For removing clay, sand, gravel, or timber, a permit under section 58(4) should be used.

A permit gives the right to use reserve land in a limited, specific way for a defined period of time. Submit a letter addressed to Chief & Council requesting access. Include as much information as possible, including date, time, length of visit, how many people, company, job titles, purpose and location. Provide the name of the contact person and their direct contact information. Permit holders must notify Splatsin prior to visiting.

Land Use Planning (LUP)

Land use planning (LUP) is primarily concerned with managing land and resources and affects almost every aspect of community life, whether it is where people live, where roads and buildings are built, or where people work and carry out their cultural practices and protocols. LUP is a process where people come together to make decisions about the future, weighing every possible variable that can be thought of and coming up with the principles, goals, objectives, rules and regulations that will guide future use of lands.

A major function of land use planning is to define how land is used and managed, based on the values, needs, services and vision of the community. A land use plan should reflect the community’s priorities, environmental conditions, future needs and the economic development landscape.

The Lands Department will report to band members, informing them of the details of the development process. Get involved in Splatsin’s LUP by contacting the Lands Use Officer.

Contact Lands

Administration Building
5775 Old Vernon Road
Enderby, B.C.
V0E 1V3

Phone: (250) 838-6496

© 2024 Splatsin

Designed, Developed and Hosted by Sproing Creative.